COVID-19 and Myeloma UK
As the UK Government continues to roll out its plan to manage the COVID-19 pandemic, everyone at Myeloma UK understands the significant additional stress and worry that patients, carers and family members may be experiencing. We want to reassure you that we are committed to supporting you through this difficult time.
We recognise that you have concerns and we are closely following expert government and NHS advice in order to evaluate any risk to staff, patients and supporters. We are prepared for this challenging situation and comprehensive systems are in place to provide Myeloma UK service continuity and manage the potential impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Myeloma UK is committed to supporting our patients, their families and carers through this difficult time by making sure everyone can access the latest information and receive advice.
Myeloma UK is also in touch with leading myeloma clinicians across the UK to make sure that we are fully informed about the developing situation and kept up to speed on any pressures the health service may be experiencing.
We will keep this page updated with the latest guidance and advice.
What measures should I be following?
- What measures should I be following?
Guidance on what you need to do to protect yourself and others from COVID-19 and who needs to follow self-isolating, shielding and stay at home measures.
- Stay safe and stay in touch
Information on why staying in touch with your healthcare team while shielding is important
Guidance for myeloma patients
- Scottish Government Health Department announces expanded interim access to myeloma treatments
The Scottish Government Health Department has issued interim arrangements for cancer medicines
- Latest FAQs – May 15
We’ve compiled a list of the most common questions arising from the latest government updates
- COVID-19 Testing FAQs
We’ve compiled a list of the most common questions about COVID-19 testing
- Looking after your mental health whilst shielding
We’ve compiled a list of things you can do to support your mental health and wellbeing whilst shielding
- NICE temporarily expands patient access to oral myeloma treatments
NICE have announced interim changes to treatment access to give clinicians greater flexibility in the management of cancer during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- COVID-19 FAQs for myeloma patients
We’ve compiled all your most common questions around myeloma and COVID-19 from the past few weeks in one place.
- Treatment and COVID-19 FAQ
We have compiled a list of the most common questions patients and carers have about treatment during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Questions to ask your healthcare team
Our updated list of questions to ask your healthcare team about COVID-19
- How the COVID-19 outbreak could affect decisions about your treatment
A summary of how COVID-19 might affect the decisions you and your healthcare team make about your treatment
- Advanced care planning
Information about advanced care planning, what it involves and why it’s important to have advanced care discussions.
- How COVID-19 could impact your dialysis
A summary of how COVID-19 might impact your dialysis
- One Cancer Voice Guidance
We worked with other cancer charities to create the One Cancer Voice guidance for cancer patients.
Guidance for carers
- COVID-19 FAQs for carers
A summary of the most frequently asked questions for carers
- Carers UK & Carers Trust COVID-19 guidance for carers
- UK Goverment advice for unpaid carers
- Scottish Government advice for unpaid carers
Guidance for related conditions
- Related Conditions and COVID-19 FAQs
A summary of the most frequently asked questions for patients with related conditions
First posted: 17/03/20
General COVID-19 guidance
- Latest NHS guidelines
- Latest government guidance
- Worried about asthma? Read Asthma UK’s advice for people with asthma
Myeloma UK updates
- Dexamethasone, COVID-19 and myeloma patients
Director of Research, Sarah McDonald comments on the recent announcement
- CEO Statement: Speculation around further changes to shielding measures
CEO, Laura Kerby comments on speculation around further changes to shielding measures
- An update on changes to shielding guidance in England and Wales from Myeloma UK
Director of Healthcare Advocacy, Dr Ira Laketic-Ljubojevic comments on the latest UK Government announcement
- How Myeloma UK is advocating for myeloma patients and services throughout COVID-19
Myeloma UK has been working hard behind the scenes, advocating for myeloma patients and services.
- Fundraising during COVID-19
The COVID-19 outbreak is causing disruptions to many fundraising events and activities. To help you understand how you can continue to support us over the coming months, we have pulled together a summary of the current advice and what it means in practice for your fundraising efforts.
- Myeloma UK Infodays Update
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, we have decided to cancel the upcoming Infodays for Kent (4 April), Manchester (1,2 May), Newcastle (16 May) and Glasgow (6 June)